I'm in the process of writing a book, (which I can only write on weekends...) and I thought I'd share the very beginning of it. It's about the 3 horses I learned to ride on. So enjoy...
Licorice
I learned how to ride on Licorice. He was a black Morgan pony, with the sweetest face. He had a white stripe down his nose and two white socks on his back feet. Being a Morgan, he was fairly short. That horse was probably the easiest horse to ride. He jumped anything, had smooth gaits, and listened very well. I really loved that guy. I learned how to groom, tack up, ride, jump…and love. All because of him.
When he started getting really old, Kerri (my riding instructor) retired him. She didn’t think he would make it through the winter, but he did. I think later that year he died. But I was only nine, so I don’t remember.
Indy
Indy was a horse I also learned to ride on. He lived with Licorice. Indy was a tall chestnut Quarter Horse. I think he is why I now love chestnuts so much. I remember one time he bucked and I stayed on—I was so proud! And one time he tripped and completely fell on the ground—I was very worried. Indy loved to jump, and so did I. Kerri would set up courses and I would go around and jump all of them. One day I learned to jump oxers. Oxers are two jumps put together, but with some space between them. I was so excited about it I couldn’t stop telling my teacher about it the next day at school. I also got to jump a 2.5 foot jump bareback on him. That was so much fun!

0 comments:
Post a Comment